I did my first paid photo shoot in 1999. It was a wedding at the Salt Lake City Temple. I shot it on Kodak Portra B&W 35mm film. Over the past two decades, my camera has been a portal into parts of life I would not have experienced otherwise. It has been one of my greatest teachers. I am going to share what I’ve learned with you now.
This is a story about faith, love, heartbreak, human nature, art, porn, spirituality, and, taking pictures of naked ladies.
Below is a rough draft outline of the book’s chapters, with links to the rough drafts themselves. Some are rougher than others.
- Luke Skywalker, Jesus and Original sin: that was pretty original!
- The Early Years – old man stories about walking uphill both ways in the winter with no coat to get our porn / the kids don’t know how good they’ve got it these days
- The Mormon Mission Years – Victoria’s Secret, panties, and Testimony Meetings
- Returning Home From Philly – and the first great love of my life
- The Great Compromise– it wasn’t that great
- The Understudy Years– first boudoir shoots, laboring under someone else’s name
- Thou Shalt Not Shoot Thy Sexy Secretary Ever Again – oh, jealousy.
- From consumer to producer: Getting behind the camera
- Do it with style: Finding my visual voice / wisdom from my heroes
- Divorce, Dating, Dilemmas and the great epiphany
- Last dance with the Lord
- Nightlife photography / dumbo’s feather
- I’ll make you beautiful – for a fee
- Things I want you to know abut your boudoir session
- Unforseen dilemmas: getting paid to shoot naked women isn’t what you think it’s going to be
- The Little Voice shows up in the damndest of moments / the truth about plan B shall set you free, but first it will scare the shit out of you.
- The case for me being a wizzard: I don’t want to tell jokes anymore / parenting sucks / beware the power of the Word
- The final level Boss: The Porn Star Girlfriend
- The problems with Porn
- Pretty things: Art is to craft as erotica is to porn
- It’s not what you do, but why you do it, that matters
- The sausage factory took away my innocence
- Actual magic
Members of the Soul Anarchist Society get access to the rough draft versions of these chapters as I write and post them. Join today: